DE-ESCALATE A TOUGH SITUATION
DE-ESCALATION CASE STUDY 1 – 5 QUICK TIPS
What happens when a participant loses control and has a complete tantrum? How can you de-escalate the situation and tone down the challenging moment?
- When a situation with a participant moves beyond your control, focus on de-escalating the situation using these 3 concepts, changing your mindset, positive communication, and problem-solving.
- The participant who has lost control is in crisis and needs your patience and time.
- Work as a team with your fellow staff members in order to meet both the needs of the participant and the situation, as well as the rest of the group.
- Use (and regularly review) phrases and tips parents and advocates recommended for participant success during the program intake process (See Shutaf video called “Welcoming New Campers”).
- Get to know a participant so you can identify early signs of frustration before a situation escalates.
DE-ESCALATE CASE STUDIES