CAMPER INTAKE SHOULD BE INFORMATIVE AND FUN – 5 QUICK TIPS
How can you use the intake process to help you have inclusion success?
- Be sensitive and respectful with families while assessing if the program can meet the needs of the potential participant.
- When possible, have in-person meetings with participants and their family’s.
- Make in-person meetings a time to observe the family dynamic while answering questions, filling out registration forms, and gathering tips from parents about how to engage and respond to their child’s needs.
- Ask for permission to speak with other members of the child’s support team like a teacher, school social worker, therapist, and basketball coach. Their different perspectives will help you respond more successfully to a participant’s needs.
- Build your partnership with your participant’s family’s and allies via ongoing (and positive) communication.